- Admission Requirements: Please find the admission requirements for PhD program in PhD Admission section.
- Admission Process: Please find the admission process for the PhD program in PhD Admission section.
- Duration: PhD in CSEDU (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Dhaka) is a four-year program. However, a researcher can submit the thesis after the first 2 (Two) years. The registration fee must be paid in each year till the submission of the thesis, and if the registration fee is not paid in due time a late fee will be included with the registration fee.
The duration of the PhD program is 5 (Five) years for part-time PhD and the thesis can be submitted after the first 4 (Four) years. However, if the researcher wishes to submit the thesis after 3 (Three) years by completing his/her research works, s/he can submit it with an approval from Academic Council along with the recommendations from the supervisor and Academic Committee.
- Course and Class:
- Registered PhD researchers should complete 3 theory courses, each of 3 credit hours. Each of the 3 credit courses consists of 100 marks and the total number for theory courses is 300. In addition, there will be a viva of 100 marks in which the student must attend. That is, a PhD researcher should attend the exam of 400 marks in total. The duration of the theory examination is 4 hours. A student should obtain at least 50% marks in each exam to pass that course. If the mark in a subject is less than 30%, this will not be counted and if any researcher fails to pass that exam, he/she can attend the exam again in the following year. However, he/she will get the right to retain the marks if it is more than 50%.
- There must be at least 48 classes and 24 classes, respectively, for the 100-marks and 50-marks course.
- In the PhD (1st Part) program, if the researcher passes the theory exam but fails in the viva exam, he/she can attend the viva exam in the following year. However, department can also take that viva exam within 3 to 6 months.
- A researcher who failed in the PhD exam and obtained 50% marks in any of the theory exams or in the viva exam can attend to that particular theory course or in viva exam without readmission in the following opportunity as an irregular examinee.
- Transfer from MPhil to PhD: The MPhil researchers who passed the 1st year theory and viva exam, and applied for the admission in 2nd year, can migrate to PhD program from MPhil program based on the satisfactory progress in their research and the recommendations from the concerned supervisor, Academic Committee, PhD Sub-committee, Faculty-meeting and approval from Board of Advanced Studies and Academic Council.
- Leave: Other than the faculty members of University of Dhaka, the PhD researcher should enroll in the program with a leave of at least 1 (One) year approved by the appointee of the concerned company. Note that, researchers having MPhil or equivalent degree are not bound to take that leave, albeit an approval from the appointee of the company is required for enrolling in the PhD program.
- A teacher can supervise at most 8 (eight) researchers and 10 (ten) researchers jointly by considering MPhil and PhD programs.
- The PhD researchers who are the faculty members of University of Dhaka will not be included in the count for number of candidates under a supervisor.
- The Professors, Associate Professors and the Assistant Professors having PhD degrees can be the supervisors of the PhD researchers.
- No candidates can have more than 3 (Three) joint supervisors. One supervisor can be from outside the University of Dhaka with an approval from Academic Council. However, the principal supervisor should be from CSEDU.
- Change of Supervisor: If a researcher wishes to change the supervisor, he/she has to submit an application with the written recommendations from the department’s Academic Committee, corresponding Faculty-meeting, current and the proposed supervisor. The Board of Advanced Studies and Academic Council will take the decision based on the recommendations.
- Change of Title: If a researcher wishes to change the title of the research, using the appropriate form he/she has to submit an application with the written recommendations from the department’s Academic Committee and corresponding Faculty-meeting. The Board of Advanced Studies and Academic Council will take the decision based on the recommendations.
- Extension of Time (Based on the Power assigned to the vice-chancellor): If a researcher fails to submit the thesis in due time, and the thesis submission/writing is in the final stage, honorable vice-chancellor can approve an extension of the submission date up to 6 (six) months.
- Re-registration: Although the validity of the registration is 4 (Four) years, a researcher can re-register for four more years after the completion of first 4-year.
- New Registration: If the validation period of registration and re-registration is over (i.e., 4+4 = 8 years), there is an option of new registration. However, this new registration is applicable for the researchers who enrolled before 2007-2008 academic year. A fee of 5000 (Five Thousand) taka for the new registration should be paid if the validation period of registration and re-registration is over.
- Progress Report: A PhD researcher will continue his/her research under the supervision of the supervisors and will submit a progress letter from the supervisor to the Board of Advanced Studies in every 6 (six) months.
- Seminar Speech: A PhD researcher should appear in front of the Academic Committee for a seminar talk in every year. A researcher should submit the report of at least two seminar talks and the recommendations from the supervisor and department’s Academic Committee while submitting the thesis. The thesis submission will not be accepted without the reports of seminar talks.
- Scholarship: In every academic year, 5 (Five) scholarships, comprised of 3000 (Three Thousand) Taka per month, are offered to the applicants based on the merit positions. However, if the researcher is in a job or receiving any scholarship/ financial benefits from other organizations, he/she will not be considered for the scholarships. The scholarships are renewable for the 2nd year.
- Fees: Information on fees for the PhD program can be collected from the office of Director of Account’s at registrar building.
The course codes and the contents of the theory courses of PhD program are similar to the course codes and the contents of CSEDU’s MPhil program. Please find the list of theory courses and the contents of the courses from here