- Admission Requirements: Please find the admission requirements for MPhil program in MPhil Admission section.
- Admission Process: Please find the admission process for the MPhil program in MPhil Admission section.
- Duration: MPhil in CSEDU (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Dhaka) is a two-year program: 1st year is for coursework and the thesis work is done in the 2nd year. However, the validation of the registration in MPhil program is 4 (Four) years.
- Course and Class time:
- Along with other faculty and institute, MPhil program in CSEDU is considered as full-time course.
- Registered MPhil researchers should complete 2 theory courses, each of 100 marks, or 4 theory courses, each of 50 marks in his/her first year. The duration of the examination is 4 hours for 1 unit exam (=100 marks) and 2 hours for 1/2 unit exam (=50 marks). In addition, there will be a viva of 100 marks in which the student must attend. The pass-mark for the theory or viva exam is 50% of the total marks. If the mark in a subject is less than 30%, this will not be counted and if any researcher fails to pass that exam, he/she can attend the exam again in the following year. However, s/he will get the right to retain the marks if it is more than 50%.
- There must be at least 48 classes and 24 classes, respectively, for the 100-mark and 50-mark course.
- In the MPhil program, if the researcher passes the theory exam but fails in the viva exam, he/she can attend the viva exam in the following year. However, department can also take that viva exam within 3 to 6 months.
- A researcher who failed in the MPhil exam and obtained 50% marks in any of the theory exams or in the viva exam can attend to that particular theory course or in viva exam without readmission in the following opportunity as an irregular examinee.
- Leave: Candidates in service can join the MPhil program by taking 1 (one) year leave from the job. However, in case of the candidate being in higher educational institute or in a research institute, the rule can be relaxed based on the recommendation from the department and corresponding faculty.
- Supervisor: A teacher can supervise at most 8 (eight) researchers and 10 (ten) researchers jointly considering MPhil and PhD programs. A researcher can work under 2 supervisors at most where one of them should be from the department and the other supervisor should be either from i) any department of University of Dhaka other than CSEDU or ii) a recognized research institute. However, the principle supervisor should be from the CSEDU. The Professors, Associate Professors and the Assistant Professors having PhD degrees can be the supervisors of the MPhil researchers.
- Admission in Second Year: MPhil researchers who pass the 1st year can admit themselves in the second year within 1 (one) month after the publication of the 1st year result. With a late fee of 1 (one) taka per day, the researchers are allowed to be admitted in the second month. However, a late fee of 2000 (Two Thousand) Taka should be paid if the researchers are admitted after two months from the publication of the 1st year result.
- Readmission: If an MPhil researcher unable to pass the first year or fails to complete the courses or cannot complete the courses in his/her first academic year, can be allowed to be readmitted in the following academic year based on the recommendation from supervisor and the academic committee. However, there will not be any opportunity of readmission after that. This readmission will be permitted by the Vice-chancellor of the University based on the recommendation from the corresponding supervisor and Academic Committee.
- Change of Supervisor: If a researcher wishes to change the supervisor, he/she has to collect the appropriate form from Shikhkha-1 (Education-1) of registrar building and fill it properly. After that, based on the recommendation from the department’s Academic Committee and the corresponding Faculty-meeting, the researcher should collect a further recommendation from Board of Advanced Studies and an approval from Academic Council. In this regard, the researcher must have the written approval from both previous and proposed supervisors.
- Change of Title: If a researcher wishes to change the title of the research, he/she has to collect the appropriate form from Shikhkha-1 (Education-1) of registrar building and fill it properly. After that, based on the recommendation from the supervisor, department’s Academic Committee and the corresponding Faculty-meeting, the researcher should collect a further recommendation from Board of Advanced Studies and an approval from Academic Council.
- Thesis Submission and Extension of Submission Time:
- The thesis should be submitted within 1 (one) year after the publication of the result of MPhil 1st Year examination. However, if someone fails to submit it in due time, s/he has to collect the appropriate form from Shikhkha-1 (Education-1) of the registrar building. After filling it properly, and once the application is recommended by department’s academic committee and corresponding faculty-meeting, the form should be submitted to the Board of Advanced Studies and Academic Council for further approval.
- If a researcher fails to submit the thesis in due time, he/she has to write an application in a blank paper to the vice-chancellor with the recommendations from the supervisor and head of the department. The vice-chancellor can then approve an extension of the submission date for 6 (six) more months according to the decision of the Syndicate on 06/12/2001.
- A researcher can submit the thesis with 2000 (Two Thousand) taka late fee if s/he fails to submit it within 3 (three) years from his/her enrollment in the first year. In case of 5 (five) years, this amount is 5000 (Five Thousand) taka.
- Fees: Information on fees for the MPhil program can be collected from the office of Director of Accounts at registrar building.
- Scholarship: There are 36 (Thirty Six) scholarships, named as Sher-e-Bangla Scholarship, each of 3000 (Three Thousand) taka per month for the MPhil researchers. However, if the researcher is in service, s/he will not be considered for the scholarship. This scholarship is renewed in the 2nd year. However, the scholarship will not be renewed for the 2nd year if the researcher fails to pass the 1st year examination.
Please find the list of theory courses and the contents of the courses from here.