About the Course
Certificate course in 3D Animation and VFX is a year-long course that will be your first stepping stone into the world of 3D art. With your instructors’ guidance, here you will complete and solidify the basics of Design, 3D modeling, Texturing, Animation, Dynamics, Rigging, Lighting, Rendering and Compositing and produce a final project with the help of everything you learn. This curriculum will open up a world of job opportunities in various sectors of the growing industry of CG and animation in Bangladesh.
The Animation Lab
World Class Animation Lab
Animation Lab, CSE, DU is the first and only place in Bangladesh with a world-class standard animation lab with state of the art equipment and software. The lab initiated from generous support from the ICT Division, Government of Bangladesh.
The Lab Environment
The ambiance of the animation lab is on par with international standard decor with adequate lighting all around in addition to desk lamps providing soft focused on each student’s work area to accentuate attention between students and teacher. The animation lab is also equipped with posters and relevant books on 3D art to inspire students to explore their creativity.
Hardware & Software
Our animation lab is equipped with high-end Dell precision T5810 desktops that consist Intel Xeon Processors, 64 GB RAM and professional NVIDIA Quadro GPU along with IMac 27 with 5K Retina display. These hardwareare capable of handling international industry standard workload for CG artists and animators. Our lab is equipped with essential licensed software such as Autodesk Entertainment Suite Ultimate (3ds Max, Maya, MotionBuilder, Mudbox& Softimage), Adobe CC 2017 production premium software, ZBrush 4R7, Final cut Pro etc.
About Dhaka University
University of Dhaka is the oldest and most prestigious public university in Bangladesh. Since its inception the University has a distinct character of having distinguished scholars as faculties who have enriched the global pool of knowledge by making notable contributions in the fields of teaching and research. While serving as the highest echelon of academic excellence, this University also functions as a central premise for free thought and democratic practices that has lead the nation in its march towards progress. For more information please visit www.du.ac.bd
About Department of CSE, DU
Department of Computer Science and Engineering started in 1992 and provides one of the finest learning environment for the students. Currently, it offers BSc, MS, MPhil and Ph.D. programs in Computer Science and Engineering. It attracts the brightest students of our country for its world-class curriculum, highly qualified faculty members and well-equipped computer labs. Alumni of this department have been working successfully in both local and global tech industry. For more details visit www.cse.du.ac.bd
Certificate Course in 3D Animation and VFX
Course Duration: 1 Year
Class Time: 10 AM to 1 PM and 6 PM to 9 PM
The course is streamlined with Bangladesh animation, visual effects and advertising industry needs in mind to make a student industry ready after one year. The course is designed with the opinions from industry experts to be the first stepping stone to be part of the competitive industry and move forward.
All courses are lab based. The classes will be conducted in the lab and hands on experiments will be done regularly.
|Semester I||Weekly Contact Hours
|1.||Design and Motion Graphics||3|
|2.||Introduction to Maya and Modeling||6|
|3.||Rotoscoping and Tracking||3|
|1.||3D Animation and Rigging Basics
|2.||Shading and Texturing||3|
|3.||Lighting and Rendering||3|
|1.||Introduction to Zbrush and Optimization||3|
|2.||Dynamic Effects and Simulation
|3.||Compositing and Portfolio shot||6|
|Total Contact Hours
List of Softwares
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe After Effects
- Substance Painter
Design and Motion Graphics
This module is designed to help students learn two fundamental concepts. The Design part will teach students basic compositional guidelines used in media forms such as motion graphics, typography, and poster etc. The second part will teach students to use the techniques and tools of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects to create Motion Graphics for the theories learned from the first part.
Introduction to Maya and Modeling
The module will offer knowledge on polygon modeling using Maya, covering a range of subjects including hard surface, architecture, organic and basic character. This course provide beginners an industry level understanding of modeling.
Rotoscoping and Tracking:
This module will introduce students with amazing world of Visual Effects. The students will be taught two very important techniques for Visual Effects; rotoscoping and tracking. Rotoscoping will let students mask out an element from a live action footage and tracking will let them add a CG element in a live action footage seamlessly.
3D Animation and Rigging Basics
The module will provide students with the knowledge of the 12 principles of animation -an explanation and guide on how to use the tools to edit animation. The students will learn how to create simple rig for bipedal humanoid characters and other props. It will provide them with understanding on how constraint and set driven keys allow animators to move and animate object inside 3D space.
Shading and Texturing
The module teaches students how to work between Photoshop, Maya and basic of Substance Painter. They will have the knowledge to texture and shade characters, environment and props from photorealistic techniques for mm, to hand-painted styles for animation and games. This will develop the understanding of efficient texture and material production.
Lighting and Rendering
The module teaches students how to effectively utilize the mental ray with Maya, with an emphasis on production workflows and techniques for various lighting conditions. Develop their artistic and technical workflow for photo-realistic results.
Introduction to Zbrush and Optimization
This class focuses on sculpting with Pixologic’s ZBrush, along with its role in digital sculpting. Students will learn the interface, tools, and workflows to proficiently create digital models and sculptures using ZBrush and Maya. Production workflows such as importing, exporting, and map generation are also covered to ensure students utilize the work created in ZBrush in other applications.
Dynamic Effects and Simulation
In this course, students are introduced to a wide range of powerful dynamic particle simulations solutions inside of Autodesk Maya. Students will become familiar with how to create simple to complex visual effects like rain, dust, fire, smoke and fireworks. Tools like nParticles, nCloth, Maya Fluids & Bifrost will be taught alongside professional production workflows.
Compositing and Portfolio shot
This course teaches students to merge various elements in a cohesive whole from live action element to 3d rendered graphics. The student will learn the flexibility of compositing techniques to develop various looks while achieving believable results.
Students will create a portfolio shot from what they have learnt from the whole course. Portfolio shot can be in two styles, Fully 3D animated/Motion Graphics or CGI/Motion Graphics with real life shots. This will be the product for the students to enter the industry.
Our instructors are established industry professionals with extensive production experience and they bring their passion and experience right into the classroom. They are graduates from top world-renowned Animation & Visual Effects schools such as Gnomon School of Visual Effects, Hollywood, USA and Multimedia University, Malaysia. They have been active members of the growing animation and VFX industry of Bangladesh, with professional background from studios such as Durga Digital LLC (ThemGreeks) (LA, USA), Grey Advertising Bangladesh Ltd., IMS Ltd., Softograph Ltd. and Ogniroth Studios. Their skilled artworks have been featured by Autodesk more than once. Our instructors offer international standard education and material to the students that reflect their experiences, in-depth knowledge on animation pipeline and the skill requirements for the animation industry.
- Abdullah Sarfaraz Yeaseen: with a passion for art and technical background, Abdullah Sarfaraz Yeaseen completed his graduation in ETE from NSU and later studied on Animation & VFX from Gnomon School of Visual Effects, Hollywood, California, USA. He has been featured by Autodesk twice and worked with Ogniroth Studios, Asiatic JWT, Bangla Trac Communications, Grey Advertising Bangladesh Ltd., IMS Ltd., Softograph Ltd. He teaches modeling, shading, texturing, lighting, rendering, dynamic effects and compositing here.
- Anindya Moqsud: Anindya comes from an art & culture related background. He completed his graduation in Animation & Visual Effects from Multimedia University, Malaysia (MMU). Later he achieved Certificate in Character Animation from Animation Mentor, California, USA. He has been featured by Animation Mentor and has worked with Grey Advertising Bangladesh Ltd. and Ogniroth Studios. Anindya teaches character animation and rigging.
Eligibility for Admission
The animation certificate courses will be offered to HSC pass student and might be relaxed for people with extraordinary artistic capacity.
English medium students: At least 5 O-level and at least 2 A-level subjects must be completed. There must not be any F in any of the exams.
To complete admission one has to complete following steps The steps are
- Start your application here.
- Pay application fee of Taka 1000.00 to the bank account name: “Animation lab, CSE, DU”, account name “ number: 0200009311416”, Agrani Bank, University of Dhaka Branch. You will be able to pay this application fees from any branch of Agrani Bank which allows online (direct deposit) banking.
- With the payment slip scroll number, date and branch name you will be able to submit your application within 12/02/2020.
- You will get a confirmation email within 48 hours.
- One has to take part in the admission test and if successful get enrolled. The details are as follows:
- An admission test will be conducted on 15 February, 2020 (Saturday) at 10am-11am. The exam will be held in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Science Complex Building, University Dhaka. The list of selected suitable candidates including waiting list will be published by 16 February 2020 (Sunday).
- You shall have to bring application fee deposit slip and your national ID card to sit for the admission test. Without the deposit slip, you will not be allowed to sit in the admission test.
- Please fill up online admission form
- Bring original mark sheet and/or certificate of SSC and HSC to CSE, DU office after filling up your admission form
- Bring a copy of mark sheets, NID/passport/birth certificate
- After verification of documents, office staff will print and take your sign in the admission form
- Office staff will give you a pay slip (with seal and id)
- Pay admission fee (Taka 5000.00) and full tuition fees (Taka 150000.00) in the bank account name: “Animation lab, CSE, DU”, account name “ number: 0200009311416”, Agrani Bank, University of Dhaka Branch and bring the deposit slip to department office for confirmation.
- In addition, there will be an EMI facility to pay the tuition fees.
- Note that you will get credit card EMI option to pay your tuition fees. To use the EMI facility, you have to pay the tuition fees using our online payment portal by a credit card. Detail information about the EMI facility will be available after the admission test.
- Orientation program and class start date will be announced later.
Admission Test Question Format
12 February, 2020 (Wednesday)
15 February, 2020 (Saturday)
Admission Test Result
16 February, 2020 (Sunday)
Admission End Regular
Will be announced soon.
Admission End Waiting List
Will be announced soon.
Will be announced soon.
Will be announced soon.
1) What makes Dhaka University Animation Lab better than other schools?
* Our instructors are working professionals in the country who have studied from abroad and utilize modern skills and techniques in their work. At Dhaka University, they are utilizing the techniques and methods they have learned and bringing it here to help you reach international standards.
* Animation Lab at the department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka is the only place in Bangladesh where students will be working on licensed softwares and industry quality machines to work on their assignments and projects.
* Animation Lab at the department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka offers a variety of additional resources to help you learn more such as the most recommended selection of books that will be available during class time, Q&A sessions and critiques from professionals working on today’s industry.
* Animation Lab at the department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka will not just be a one-time program. Its goal is to create a community and a qualified young workforce to speed up this already booming industry in Bangladesh.
2) Academic Calendar & Program Structure
Details schedule will be published soon.
The Academic Calendar will be explained in more detail and handed out to you by the teachers in your orientation class.
Please refer to our website and brochure for the program curriculum, which also will be explained more in detail in class.
3) Is prior animation experience important for this program?
Prior animation experience is not required for this program as it will teach from the fundamentals to entire production pipeline. During program, sketching will be part of assignments to create storyboard/animatic. The quality of the drawing will not be graded upon, rather your ability to convey your idea.
4) Will the certificate help me get a job or apply abroad?
The certificate from the department of Computer Science and Engineering, Dhaka University will definitely help with your job placement, as well as applying for undergrad programs in foreign schools that require a Foundation program prior.
5) What is the typical weekly schedule for a student?
During a term, there are 4 days of regular lecture sessions of 3 hours from Sunday-Wednesday and Thursday will be an optional Q&A with your teachers, which also is 3 hours long.
Evening batch 6-9pm, Morning batch: 10am-1pm
The Q&A session will be the best time for you to clarify any problem you are facing with an assignment or did not understand certain part of any lecture and need to revisit the chapter again. During those times, the computers will be free to use for students for their assignments.
6) How much time should I plan to spend on my coursework?
Weekly you will have 12 hours of classes. On top of that, another 5-10 hours of focused work and practice is highly recommended. The time estimate will depend on your skills in Maya, as a modeler and where you are in the program. Towards the end of each term, you should be working on full gear to deliver your best work.
It is possible to work full-time and take this program with diligent time management, as there are classes offered from 6pm-9pm. To learn more about class timing, please contact the university or check our brochure that can be downloaded from the website.
7) Who are the instructors and what is their background?
Our instructors are industry professionals who have been selected for their technical ability and teaching skills. You can learn more about them in the brochure or website.
8) Do I need a powerful computer at home to work?
It’s possible for you to work freely in the Animation Lab at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka on your class assignment/project. To practice at home, all you need is the Autodesk Software and HDD space for your project files. A laptop is also fine.
For rendering your assignments, we will recommend to use our Animation Lab computers as they are very powerful and will give you quick results.
9) Do I need to bring my own laptop in class?
Animation Lab at the department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka has powerful desktop computers just for each of you to learn on. It will be your choice to bring laptop for a class purpose if you wish, but to participate in the class, all you will need is yourself and a pen and a notebook to take notes.
1) What are the admission requirements?
Minimum requirements are HSC/O-level ( 5 papers)/A-level (Minimum 2 papers). However, the requirements might be relaxed for people with extraordinary artistic capacity
2) Do I need to have art experience or good drawing skills to be successful at Dhaka University Animation Lab?
Drawing skills are not a requirement of this program and will not necessarily be taught as part of the curriculum
1) What are the Softwares Animation Lab will teach?
We use Autodesk Maya 2016. We teach Mental Ray for rendering. Although, we have Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator available for texturing and design purposes, we don’t particularly teach these softwares extensively.
Our instructors do help students out if they have questions regarding mentioned softwares as to their capability.
2) What is the proper etiquette expected from a student when attending Animation Lab at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka program?
Animation Lab at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Dhaka is a place for mutual respect where we gather to learn from each other. You are here to learn and your teachers are here to help you prepare for the industry.
Attend Q&A & Practice sessions and make the best of your available time. Remember, you will get as much out of your education as you put into it.
3) What constitutes a passing grade?
According to the Dhaka University grading policy, 40% mark is required to pass this certificate course. Details about grading will be discussed in class by your instructors.
4) What is your refund policy?
Fixed number of students is admitted and hence there is no refund after admission. Therefore you are advised to consult in person with the office if you have any question.
1) Can I pay some of my tuition now and some later?
Basically, you have to pay the full tuition fees at the time of admission. Moreover, you can pay your tuition fees using our EMI facility too. In that case, you have to pay the tuition fees using our online payment gateway with a credit card. Then you will get the EMI facility from your respective bank for the credit card.
2) How can I make my tuition payment?
Payment can be made using either cash deposite to the bank account or through the online payment system.
- For cash deposite, all payment will be made through the Bank account. Bank account name: “Animation lab, CSE, DU”, account name “number :0200009311416”, Agrani Bank, Dhaka university Branch.
- In case of online payment, you can use any credit/debit card. Moreover, you can avail EMI facility with online payment.
3) Do I have to pay for my classes all at once? Can I pay in installments?
Yes, you have to pay the full amount at the time of admission. You can avail EMI facility by online payment using your credit/debit card from your respected banks. For more info, please contact university finance.
4) How much does the course cost?
Admission fee (Taka 5000.00) and full tuition fees (Taka 150000.00) for the course are payable once (For EMI, use online payment with credit/debit card) at the time of admission. Application fee(Taka 1000) is not included in any of those fees.